150+ Collective Nouns with Examples:-
In this post Collective noun with examples, we will know what is a collective noun and what are the examples of collective nouns.
What is Collective Noun:-
Collective Noun-Nouns that refer to a group of persons or things of the same kind are called Collective Nouns.
Collective Noun is used in two ways in an English sentence. Singular and Plural. Actually, this noun is both singular and plural. Therefore, according to its number, Verb is used in Verb Subject Agreement.
20+ Collective Nouns with Examples List
- Shoal –A group of fish
- Group – A very general term used to describe people, places, things, and animals
- Crowd – Usually used to describe a group of people
- Gang – Usually used to describe a group of criminals; also used to describe a group of workers, particularly sailors or dock workers
- Choir – A large, organized group of singers
- Orchestra – A large, organized group of instrumentalists, led by a conductor
- Shower – Usually used to describe rain, although it can be used to describe gifts or compliments
- Fall – Often used to discuss weather, such as rain, snow or hail
- Bunch – Usually a group of smallish objects such as grapes, flowers, keys, or bananas
- Pile – An untidy collection of items such as rubbish
- Heap – A mounded collection of items; used interchangeably with “pile”
- Set – A tidy group of matched objects such as dishes; also used to describe
rules or a social group of people
- Panel – A group of experts
- Board – A group of people, usually professionals, who take on an advisory role
- Troupe – A group of actors or acrobats; also used to describe a group of monkeys
- Herd – A group of herbivore animals
- Pack – A group of canine animals such as wolves or dogs; also used to describe playing cards and packages containing multiple objects
- Flock – A group of birds; also used to discuss small hooved animals such as sheep or goats
- Swarm – A group of insects
- Stack – A group of items neatly laid one on top of another; i.e., a stack of books
- Series – Used to discuss movies, books, or events that follow one after another, i.e. Star Trek or Harry Potter
- Mob – Normally used to describe an angry or unruly group of people; also used to describe a group of kangaroos
- Staff – A group of people who work in the same place
- Crew – Usually used to denote a group of workers; also used to describe aircraft and ships personnel
15+ Common Collective Nouns with Examples Used for Things:-
Here such a Collective Noun has been included, whose group is understood by only one word. Actually it seems to be Common Noun but in reality it is not. like;
- Collection of stars – A cluster / constellation/ galaxy of stars.
- Collection of cars -A convoy of cars.
- Collection of lectures -A course or series of lectures.
- Collection of flowers- A bouquet of flowers
- Collection of ships- A fleet of ships
- Collection of Keys, grapes – A bunch of grapes, keys, etc.
- Collection of sticks and hay – A bundle of sticks and hay.
- Collection of notes- A wad of notes
- Collection of mountains- A range of mountains
- Collection of Islands – A group of Islands
- Collection of trees – A clump/grove of trees.
- Collection of sand – Heap of sands.
- Collection of flowers- A bunch of flowers
- Collection of cards- A pack of cards
- Collection of lies- A pack of lies
- Collection of Pearls- A Cluster/Strings of pearls
- Collection of shoes- A pair of shoes
-Collective Nouns List-
100+ Collective Nouns Example List for People:-
Here are some examples of collective nouns
- An ambush of widows
- An army of soldiers
- A host of angels
- A house of senators
- A circle of friends
- A class of pupils
- A roll of drummers
- An attitude grunt of teenagers
- An audience of listeners
- The eloquence of lawyers
- A horde of savages
- A brace/A wince of dentists
- An amalgamation of metallurgists
- An amble of walkers
- A joint of osteopaths
- A line of kings/rulers
- A melody of harpists
- An embarrassment /A persistence of parents
- An entrance of actresses
- An obeisance of servants
- An observance of hermits
- An obstruction of dons
- A mess/An execution of officers
- A meter of percussionists
- A mob of rioters
- Morbidity of majors
- A prudence of vicars
- A quiz of teachers
- A lie/An equivocation of politicians
- A mug/A reflection of narcissists
- A multiply/An unhappiness of husbands
- A mutter of mothers-in-law
- The wisdom of grandparents
- A pack of thieves
- A pan of reviewers
- A panel of experts
- A peck of Frenchmen
- A picket of strikers
- A pint of Irishmen
- A pity/A gang of prisoners
- A number/A set of mathematicians
- A pack of Brownies
- A pomposity of professors
- A posse of police
- A posse of sheriffs
- A pound of Englishmen
- A promise of barmen
- An imposition of in-laws
- A plush/A rascal of boys
- A rage of maidens
- A sentence of judges
- A series of radiologists
- A set subtlety of designers
- A set swish of hairdressers
- A shower of bastards
- A shower of meteorologists
- A shrivel of critics
- A party of friends
- An expectation of heirs
- An expectation of midwives
- An obscurity/A rhyme of poets
- An illusion of magicians
- An impatience of wives
- A patrol of policemen
- A sample of salesmen
- A school of clerks
- A scolding of seamstresses
- A scoop/A slant of journalists
- A shuffle of bureaucrats
- A side of dancers
- A rash of dermatologists
- A regiment of soldiers
- A rookery/A school of clerks
- A rout of schoolboys
- A simplicity of subalterns
- The poverty of pipers
- A slate of candidates
- A squat of daubers
- A squeal of nieces
- A staff of employees
- A slither of gossip columnists
- A slouch of models
- A sneer of butlers
- A sprig of vegetarians
- A squad of beaters
- A squad of soldiers
- A troupe of performers
- A wandering of tinkers
- A wheeze of joggers
- A worship of writers
- A staff of servants
- A staff of teachers
- A tribe of Indians
- A tribe of natives
- A stalk of foresters
- A subtlety of sergeants at law
- A superfluity of nuns
- A tabernacle of bakers
- A talent of gamblers
- A tantrum of decorators
- A team of athletesA team of players
- A thought of barons
- A trip of hippies
- A troop of boy scouts
- A troupe of acrobats
- A troupe of artistes
- A troupe of dancers
- An absence/An order of waiters
- An alley/A pratfall of clowns
- A team of horses.
Common Collective Nouns with Example Used for Animals:-
- Collection of lions- A pride of lions
- Collection of Fish – Shoal of fish
- Collection of Puppies – Litter of puppies.
- Collection of crows- A murder of crows
- Collection of Sheep- A flock of sheep
- Collection of horses-A team of horses
- Collection of Cattle – Heard of cattle
- Collection of birds – Flock of birds.
- Collection of Baboons –Troops of baboons.
- Collection of Bees – Swarm of Bees
- Collection of Rabbits – Wrack of rabbits.
- Collection of Ants – Army / Colony of Ants.
- Collection of Monkey – Barrel of monkey
- Collection of Wolves- Pack of wolves
More Examples of Collective Nouns
There are lots of collective nouns examples. Below are some ones collective nouns examples for people, animals, and things.
Example of Common Collective Nouns Used for People:-
Here are collective noun example used for peoples.
- Collection of gang- A gang of thieves
- Collection of Students – A class of students.
- Collection of Servents – A retinue of servants/ attendants.
- Collection of soldiers – A company/regiment/army of soldiers.
- Collection of People – A crowd/mob of people.
- Collection of Mountains, hills – A chain/range of mountains or hills.
- Collection of Singers – A choir of singers
- Collection of team- A team of players
- Collection of trouple- A troupe of dancers
- Collection of pack- A pack of thieves
- Collection of panel- A panel of experts
- Collection of Directors- A board of directors, etc.
- Collection of girls, women – A bevy of girls, women, officers, etc.
In this article, we learned about Collective Noun with Example. Various questions related to Collective noun like what is called Collevtive Noun? 20+ Collective Nouns with Examples List. 15+ Common Collective Nouns with Examples Used for Things. 100+ Collective Nouns Example List for People
Common. Collective Nouns with Example Used for Animals. Example of Common Collective Nouns Used for People Etc..
If you liked this article then share it with your friends.
150+ Collective Nouns with Examples collective nouns,collective nouns examples,collective noun,collective nouns for kids,collective nouns in english,collective nouns list,list of collective nouns,what are collective nouns,examples of collective nouns,collective nouns for animals,100 collective nouns,collective nouns video,collective nouns pictures,collective nouns for things,collective nouns for people,collective,what are examples of collective nouns,nouns,what is a collective noun